Total Pageviews

Friday, December 31, 2010

December 31, 2010. I've never faced the Kobayashi Maru

What the hell am I talking about? What is the Kobayashi Maru? You have to go back to Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan. It's the no-win situation. Captain Kirk did not believe in the no-win situation. Ergo, he never faced it. Unlike Captain Kirk, I do believe in it, I just have never needed to face it. I guess the closest that I ever came was a dream that I had, right after the Bar exam, that the lack of a job had forced me to live on the streets. I blamed that dream upon a Hebrew National Salami that I had before going to bed.

So why do I write this now? Am I finally forced to face the Kobayashi Maru? I don't think so. I have a wonderful support system. My lovely wife keeps me from doing the foolish things, like going out in the middle of a snowstorm.


Besides Law School, I don't feel as if I've ever faced a challenge. Circumstances saw fit for me not to have children. That would have been the ultimate challenge. My work is tedious, but relatively simple.

Is PD the challenge that I've never faced before, and am I facing it now? In many ways yes. I know, intellectually, that there is no cure. Michael J. Fox believes that there will be a cure within this decade. He has done wonders. He has raised money, raised awareness, brought hope, and unintentionally made a fool of Rush Limbaugh. (He didn't need Michael's help for that.)

I'll accept Michael's optimism, and face the Kobayashi Maru another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment