Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 30, 2010

December 30, 2010. The Four Questions

There are a few important questions in my life: 1) Why a Duck? 2) Who's On First? 3) How fast does a swallow fly? 4) Where Wolf?

If you recognize these you are not a fan of classic comedy. I am a fan.

One of my favorite songs is "Smile." Whether it is sung by Nat King Cole, Barbara Streisand or Tony Bennett, it is a beautiful song. Did you know that the music was written by Charlie Chaplin? I think that he wrote it for "City Lights." Which if you haven't seen is your homework assignment.

Nothing makes me happier than to make somebody laugh. Whether it be by telling the same joke that I've told for thirty years, or by making some pithy statement, that everyone thinks is "off the cuff," but has been floating in my head for years. As the song says, "My ad-libbed lines are well rehearsed." I am also full of pith.

I know how to tell a joke. I learned from the movie "My Favorite Year." Mark Linn-Baker gives the best lesson on how to tell a joke. Always stand, use your hands. It works. By the way, this movie is also part of your homework assignment.

What does this have to do with Parkinson's Disease. One of the indications of PD is a masked face. It no longer is natural to smile. All that I keep thinking is that the stone-face worked for the great Buster Keaton.

So if you tell me a joke, and I give you back a blank stare, don't feel bad. It may not be the joke. Then again it may, try standing and please use your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment