Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1, 2010. There's Something Bigger Than Phil!

Let me take you back to 1973. Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks release "The 2013 Year-Old Man" Reiner interviews Brooks, who is the old gentleman. At one point, Reiner asks the oldman,
“Did you always believe in the Lord?”
“No. We had a guy in our village named Phil, and for a time we worshipped him.”
You worshipped a guy named Phil? Why?”
“Because he was big, and mean, and he could break you in two with his bare hands.”
“Did you have prayers?”
“Yes, would you like to hear one? O Phil, please don’t be mean and hurt us, or break us in two with your bare hands.
”“So when did you start worshipping the Lord?”
“Well, one day a big thunderstorm came up and alightning bolt hit Phil. We gathered around and saw that he was dead. Then we said to one another,‘There’s somethin’ bigger than Phil!’

”I'm a big guy. I'm slightly over 6'2", and weigh about 240 lbs. Which is why I find it so difficult to accept the fact that wind could be disastrous.

Nothing ever knocked me over. When I played Hockey, if you tried to check me, you were going down. When I played Basketball, I couldn't dribble or jump, but if I planted my feet in the paint, I was getting that rebound. Now I've met my match. And the son of a bitch is invisible.

The coldest places in the Metropolitan area may well be, 1) The southern tip of Manhattan; 2) The Nassau Coliseum Parking Lot; 3) Queens Boulevard. What do these places have in common? They all have tremendous wind gusts.

Today was rainy and windy. As I entered the stairway going down to the subway on Continental Avenue at Queens Boulevard, I felt a gust of wind move me. Move me! Let me at that guy! My opponent is crafty. He may force me to avoid him in the future.

Have I met my match? Not really, but I must learn to be more careful. with PD comes clumsiness. I didn't go down this time, but it opened my eyes to the possibility that it may happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment