Total Pageviews

Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011. If you Prick us, Do we not bleed?

“If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?”

Have you ever lied, about what is wrong, when someone notices the Parkinson’s? I have, more times then I care to remember. At Real Estate closings, I often have to stand up to get my leg comfortable. I just tell people that my back is stiff.

Argumentatively, I do this in order not to affect my business. Sometimes I do this to avoid the conversation that will inevitably ensue. You’ve heard it, “My cousin’s wife’s stepfather had it. He’s had no trouble for 30 years.” This is often followed by the inevitable, “I’m sure everything will be fine.” Or “You’re in my prayers.”

So what do we do? We lie. I continue to do so every day, this blog is blocked, so that certain people, clients who have friended me, cannot read what I write.

What strange reactions, I have gotten. A family friend, from The Putz family, is a Doctor. I think that he got he license on the home shopping network. He grabbed my arm to check my elbow, in the middle of East End Avenue. I’m shocked that he didn’t send me a bill.

There is also the way that people react. I have a dear friend that doesn’t return my calls anymore. I’m assuming, based upon his/her initial reaction, that it’s just too upsetting for he/she.

So what am I going to do? I’ll continue to lie to those that I don’t care to discuss it with. I’ll reach out to my friend, hoping that it’s just my imagination. Most of all, I’ll try to go about my life, without allowing the Parkinson’s to define me.

No comments:

Post a Comment