Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 24, 2011

february 24, 2011. One day at a time

I often start writing these without a clue of the subject that I’m going to write about. Today is such a day.

I started writing in November 2007. I was scared. I was depressed. I didn’t know where Parkinson’s disease was going to take me. So I started to write. It helped. Whenever I would be depressed, writing would pull me out of the depression.

As I speak to people who have PD, I find the stories strangely similar. Everybody went to many different Doctors, before one finally diagnosed the problem. All of us were told by one or more friends how their friend or neighbor had it and lived well for thirty years. My favorite is the friend who says. “I’m sure that everything will be alright.” Unless that friend is Nostradamus, that is the most meaningless statement that can be made.

There is no cure for Parkinson’s disease. There have been great strides taken to alleviate the symptoms. They know that exercise helps. They know that dancing helps. I personally believe that positive thinking helps.

The truth is, if I met somebody today, and he or she didn’t watch me getting out of a car, they would suspect nothing. Today is a good day. The weather is mild, the medications are working well, hence I feel fine. Tomorrow could be completely different. I haven’t had to cancel any appointments yet, because of the disease, but the day will come. It is just that unpredictable.

The worst time of the day is when I first wake up. I’m stiff and slow. Right now is the best time, between 12:30 PM and 4 PM. I feel great.

Since I feel great, and the weather is nice, I’m going to take advantage of it and go for a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment