Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18, 2011. Ticket Stubs and Memories.

I've been to Baseball Games all over this country, from Seattle to Portland, Maine. Since 1964, when my Dad, brother and I went to the Bronx for a Sunday afternoon, double header against the Orioles. I now must consider the possibility that those days are over. Between the crowds on the Subways, the steep steps and my inability to sit still, I may be better off watching these games at home.

My family had season tickets to the New York Rangers in 1968-69. We had season tickets to the New York Islanders from 1972-1993. I had a season ticket for St. John's Basketball from 1991-93. I shared a season ticket for the New York Knicks from 1992-2001. I shared a season ticket for The New York Yankees from 2000-2002.

I was at game 3 and game 4 of the 1969 World Series. I rooted for the Orioles. My heart was broken by Tommie Agee and Ron Swoboda.

I was marveled and was saddened by the great Bobby Orr.

In the spring of 1971, I watched Tom Seaver strike out 19 (including the last 10 batters) Padres. It was the only time that I rooted for the Mets.

I was at Candlestick Park, in 1972, when Willie Mays played his first game there as a Met.

I watched Bill Bradley hit a shot from the corner to complete a comeback, by The Knicks in the over The Bullets in the 1973 playoffs.

I watched Bobby Murcer drive in all 5 runs, in a 5-4 comeback victory, on the day of Thurman Munson's funeral. He will always be one of my favorites.

For four years I watched great Islander Teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs. The final game often conflicted with my Law School exams, but I did see the final game in 1983. A month ago I had the extreme pleasure of discussing this with Bobby Nystrom. The next year my we lost to Edmonton. There has never been one as good as Gretzky.

I saw the Knicks in the finals in 1994 and 1999. I saw Michael Jordan at his finest. I was crushed by Reggie Miller scoring 16 points in a little more than a minute. I saw the final game of the NBA Championship, when the Knicks lost to the Spurs.

I watched Mariano Rivera saw off Atlanta bats as the Yankees won the 1999 world Series. I watched Roger Clemens, inexplicably, through a broken bat in the direction of Mike Piazza. I saw Scott Brosius send game 5 into extra innings, for the second straight day, in 2001.

I sat next to a Fisherman from Alaska and discussed baseball for three hours in Safeco field in 2001. Where else can a Fisherman from Alaska talk Baseball with an Attorney from New York?

The last couple of years, it has become more of a hassle then it's worth. So I'm afraid that I'm now stuck with Ticket stubs and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment