Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17, 2011. Parkinson's Dementia

Perhaps nothing scares me more than the possibility of Parkinson’s related dementia. Although I was never the “smartest kid in class,” I also had nothing to be embarrassed about.

Parkinson’s Dementia affects about 20% of those with the disease. Early indications are hallucinations and severe motor control problems. I’ve had minor hallucinations. For example, I swear that I actually remember the Yankees winning a ballgame. My motor control problems, even in my most self pitying moments, could never be considered severe.

It’s difficult to tell what is Parkinson’s Dementia and what is a normal function of aging. The eight signs of Parkinson’s Dementia are:

1) memory problems: As I’ve previously indicated, my memory is not what it once was. This could clearly be a sign of aging.

2) distractibility: I’ve always been easily distracted. I’m not concerned.

3) slowed thinking: Haven’t noticed any problem.

4) disorientation: Haven’t noticed any problem.

5) confusion: Haven’t noticed any problem.

6) moodiness: clearly not.

7)lack of motivation: lifelong problem

8) hallucinations: I have had them. Situations where out of the corner of my eye, I see something that is not there.

What is worse, losing control of one’s body, where you’re a burden upon yourself as well as others, or losing control of one’s mind where you mostly burden others. I may have to get back to you on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment