Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November 17, 2010

It's been a rough couple of days. Walking can be strenuous. A slightly hunched over position causes a pain in my neck. Added to that, I may carry 6 or 7 files, along with my laptop in my backpack.

I've also been terribly remiss about attending Physical Therapy. I've been weighing the balancing the benefits of the physical therapy against the lost time at work. I chose poorly. I'm back at the Gym this Friday.

Aging is a funny thing. When we're young we absorb almost anything we're taught. I had an almost photographic memory. I could take copious notes, rewrite them, and the entire semester would be memorized. The shutter is now broken on this photographic memory. That's is more a function of age.

Math came easy to me. The employees at my Dad's store would test me on double digit multiplication. I was could do it faster, in my head, then they could do it on a calculator. That also may be a function of age.

Not everything is more difficult. I'm a far better writer now. I also enjoy that a lot more. I'll get some strange idea in my head, and let it take it's own course. What caused this? I think that it is a lack of inhibition that comes from age and mortality.

How life has changed! Just 5 years ago, I was driving more than 30,000 miles a year. Now I'm avoiding driving. Living in New York makes this adjustment a minor inconvenience.

What I do miss is the Theater. It's difficult sitting still for 3 hours in a cramped seat. At a sporting event I can always get up and walk around. I don't have that option in the Theater.

As I wrote the last sentence I felt embarrassed. How little appreciation am I showing of my lot in life, if my biggest complaint is that I miss the Theater. One of my goals for the upcoming year is to learn to keep things in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment